For Customs brokers


The Customs Act 1901 (Customs Act) provides that only the owner of goods or a customs broker licensed by the Comptroller-General of Customs for the Department of Home Affairs (the Department) can submit an import declaration to enter goods for home consumption in connection with the importation of those goods.

In Australia all customs brokers are licensed by the Department in line with Division 3 Part XI of the Customs Act.

Licence types

Under the Customs Act 1901 (Cth), customs broker licences can only be issued to natural persons, companies or partnerships.  A licence cannot be issued to other forms of entity, such as a trust.

You need to ensure you apply for the correct licence type.

Find out more about customs broker licence types

Licence expiry and renewal

A customs broker’s licence is granted for a period of up to three years.

All customs broker licences expire on 30 June, at intervals of three years.

We will send an application for renewal of licence to the last known address of the licensee.

The licensee will then be responsible for returning the completed renewal application and the payment of the licence fee.

Learn more about conditions of licences and updating ICS details