Crossing the border

​When you arrive or depart Australia, there are things you need to know and things you need to do.

You may also be able to access information the Department of Home Affairs collects and holds about your travel movements.

Travel documents

When you arrive in Australia, you must have a valid passport or other travel document.

Find out about the documents required by Australians and citizens of other countries.

Passenger name records

The Department of Home Affairs undertakes the risk assessment and clearance of all passengers arriving into and departing from Australia through the collection of passenger name records.

Find out how this information is used, how it is protected and how to request access to it.

Military personnel

If you are a member of the Australian Defence Force heading overseas or returning to Australia, special provisions apply.

These rules may also apply to military personnel of another country arriving in Australia.