Exportation of goods during COVID-19 human biosecurity period
Under regulation 13GI of the
Customs (Prohibited Exports) Regulations 1958 the exportation from Australia of the following goods is prohibited:
- any of the following equipment that, when worn, is capable of limiting the transmission of organisms to humans:
- disposable face masks
- disposable gloves
- disposable gowns
- goggles, glasses or eye visors.
- any of the following disinfectant products:
- alcohol wipes
- hand sanitizer.
- exceptions to this prohibition apply where:
- a person departing Australia takes with them a reasonable quantity of such items for personal use;
- exported by a person to a relative of the person, for the relative’s personal use, and the exportation is not by international mail.
- export is by a humanitarian organisation, and the export is not by international post; or
- export of such items if manufactured by the exporter, and the export is not by international post.
- export of such items is a person’s normal business (registered under the GST Act and has an ABN) , and the export is not by international post.
The prohibition applies only when the
Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) Declaration 2020 is in force, including where it is extended.
For further information regarding these changes please consult the legislation directly, including the explanatory statement for the Amendments, at